🤔 What is Outlining?
Outlining is the process of creating hierarchies to contain whatever you’re thinking or working on. An outline breaks complex processes into smaller, more manageable bits.
Watch this short video guide to learn how outlining works on Taskade. 👇
⚡ The Benefits of Outlining
If you're a writer, you can use outlining for taking notes and structuring documents. But a project outliner like Taskade is a much more versatile tool that’s excellent for:
- 🪨 Breaking complex ideas/problems into smaller steps
- ✅ Managing all your tasks in an organized way
- 👑 Visualize all kinds of hierarchical systems
- 👁 Planning, managing, and debriefing projects
- 💬 Preparing a meeting agenda/talking points
- 📍 Connecting the dots and visualizing connections between ideas
- 🔄 Creating reusable checklists, workflows, and templates.
💡 Outlining Terminology
Taskade is a true outliner. That means it can "understand" the relationship between outline elements (nodes). To better visualize that relationship, outline elements are commonly referred to as Parents and Children.
- 🌳 Parents (Tasks)
- You start an outline (Project) on Taskade by creating tasks
- A task is equivalent to a bullet point in the traditional sense
- A task occupies the highest level of an outline hierarchy
- 🍃 Children (Sub-Tasks)
- Sub-tasks are the children of a parent tasks
- A sub-task is “nested” or indented under its parent task
- Every sub-task is also a task, so each sub-task can have its own sub-tasks
⬅️ ➡️ Indent/Outdent
Taskade makes it possible to highlight the relationship between tasks and subtasks by indenting/nesting lower-level elements in a hierarchy. For instance, you can divide intimidating tasks like "build a startup" into a series of incremental steps.
To indent/outdent a task in Taskade:
- To indent, select a task and tap Indent Right arrow ↪ on the toolbar
- You can create an unlimited number of sub-tasks in a hierarchy
- To outdent, tap Indent Left arrow ↩
⬆️ ⬇️ Fold / Unfold
Outlining gives you the power to hide or show outline levels as needed. All you need to do is click the arrow next to your task to fold or unfold the task and all its sub-tasks.
Do you want to learn more about outlining on Taskade? Read these articles next:
- 👑 How to Organize and Manage Your Tasks in Hierarchies
- 🐑 Past, Present, and Future of Outlining Software
- 🧠 A Case For Hierarchical Thinking: Solve Complex Problems the Easy Way
- 📝 A Comprehensive Guide To Hierarchical Note-Taking
🎯 Get Our Apps
- 🤖 Android app: Google Play Store
- 🍎 iPhone app: Apple App Store
- 🦊 Firefox Extension: Firefox Add-Ons
- 👩💻 Chrome Extension: Chrome Web Store
- 💻 Mac, Linux, Windows apps: taskade.com/downloads
😊 Questions or Suggestions?
- 💌 Our Official Blog: blog.taskade.com
- 🚌 Taskade Updates: taskade.com/v/B1Q8lMxIfG
- ☎️ Contact Us: taskade.com/contact
- 🐧 Follow Us: twitter.com/taskade
Use Taskade with your team to start collaborating right away! Chat, organize, and get things done, together.